Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pictures from Troo and Lavardin














I LOVED visiting Troo and Lavardin. Troo used to be a walled town built high on a hill—but what’s unique about the village these days is its cave homes carved into the hillside overlooking the river. With stunning views of the valley, flowering terraces, winding staircases and quiet lanes forbidden to cars, Trôo feels like a hobbit village, full of mystery and enchantment. (copied from "France Today") http://www.francetoday.com/features/troo.php











Lavardin was charming also and the church was amazing. This picturesque medieval village is dominated by the ruined chateau towering above it, atop a rocky cliff. Dating originally from the 11th-14th centuries, but also now a ruin since long ago, when the troops of Henry 4th laid it to waste. Kathryn and I tried to get in but the door wouldn't budge. The Chuch of Saint Geneste, had frescoed and decorated interior. http://www.cavelife.net/lavardinweb/English/eindex.html



The Castle
















Inside the church
I would've loved to have more time to explore both these villages. I also wish I had read about them before going as their history is fascinating.
I had some other photos I wanted to post but I couldn't figure out how to rotate them-anyone know how to do that?
Diane





1 comment:

elizabethpaiva said...

Diane:
The pictures are just wonderful.I'm enjoying them so much
Hope all the dancers are back to their daily routines. They had such a great experience.
Hi to Erin
Mom